Skip to main content
Let me know you stopped by--leave a comment or reaction! Happy Crafting!

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Upcycled: Painted Glass Jars (Candle Holders)

 Just like many of you, I enjoy a trip to the craft store, but at the same time I am always looking for ways to use products I have readily available.  A few weeks ago I saw a Pinterest Pin with painted glass jars for candles.  The concept was simple enough and I had the supplies handy.


Supplies:
Glass jar (I used a gravy jar)
Rubber bands (various sizes)
Paint
Twine
Place rubber bands around jar.

1 coat of paint
2 coats of paint (an imperfect paint job, giving it a rustic look); dry and remove rubber bands. 
Lightly sand the excess/peeling paint.  Add twine to the top of the jar, by gluing.

The twine hides the screw on portion of the jar giving it a more finished appearance.

Add a candle (I use battery candles) and you are all set!

In my opinion this looks like birch bark when illuminated.  
This is a great way to upcycle some jars and add a little something extra to your home.  
Let me know you stopped by--leave a comment or reaction!
Happy crafting!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mason Jar Soap Dispenser

As I was wandering about Michaels  stocking up on craft supplies for me and the kids (since we are homebound for the next several days/weeks thanks to COVID-19) I saw a soap pump for a jar.  Then I recalled seeing painted mason jars on the interwebs--some were for soap, toothbrushes, flowers, etc.  Ergo I decided to give it a whirl.  I added the pump , jar, and chalk paint to the cart, plus some other stuff (it was not a cheap trip). How hard can this be?  I followed the directions on the back of the paint bottle: Paint, dry at least 2 hours between coats (I didn't wait that long, maybe 30 minutes and I applied 3 coats), distress with sandpaper, and seal.  I sealed it with Krylon varnish and acrylic sprays. 1 coat of paint 3 coats of paint and distressed Boom!  Done!  Now it has found its home in our kitchen. This is a great way to upcycle some unused mason jars you have.  If you are unable to get out to an arts and crafts store, Amazon h

Wine Cork Board

I have been collecting corks for about 3 years.  My husband even bought me a side table (shaped like a wine glass) that is designed to hold corks (it's half full).  Now that I find myself crafting, I finally decided to use them for something other than collecting dust.  I have seen various crafts to repurpose the corks: coasters, pictures, ornaments.  I opted to try the wine cork board. Supplies: Picture Frame (I used a 5x7) Corks (cut in half) Hot Glue Cup Hooks I researched the best/easiest way to cut the corks and I found the easiest way (as it didn't require special tools) was to boil the corks and cut (saw) with a serrated knife.  The key is to keep the corks in the hot water until you are ready to cut.  I pulled them out one at a time to ensure they remained warm and soft.   Boil for 10 minutes Make sure the corks are completely dry! Next arrange the corks inside the picture frame (before gluing) to get an idea of a design